Are you tired of your natural hair color? Want to switch things up and try something new? Coloring your hair at home may seem like a simple and cost-effective solution, but it can also be daunting. Before you break out the hair dye kit, you should know a few things to avoid any potential hair disasters.
In this article, we'll cover the do's and don'ts of coloring your hair at home, from choosing the right shade to properly caring for your newly colored locks.
Coloring Your Hair at Home
Coloring your hair at home can be an exciting way to switch up your look without breaking the bank. However, it's essential to approach it cautiously and follow a few key tips to ensure you don't end up damaging your hair. In this comprehensive guide, we'll provide you with all the dos and don'ts of coloring your hair at home to help you achieve beautiful, healthy hair color.
But wait, there's more! In addition to the tips for coloring your hair at home, we'll also give you some advice on how to make your hair smell good. That's right, because let's face it, there's nothing quite like the feeling of having hair that not only looks good but smells amazing too. So here are some steps that can help you.
- Choose the right shade for your skin tone to achieve a natural and flattering look Cool-toned skin goes well with cool hair colors, while warm-toned skin works best with warmer shades. Avoid going too light or dark in one go to prevent hair damage and difficult corrections.
- Prep your hair correctly by ensuring it is clean, dry, and free of any product buildup.
- Conduct a strand test to check if the dye works as intended and if you're not allergic to any ingredients.
- Follow the instructions with your hair dye kit to achieve the desired result.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly to remove all the dye, and avoid leaving it on too long.
- Wait at least 24-48 hours before shampooing your hair to allow the color to set appropriately.
- Use a deep conditioner to restore moisture to your hair and prevent it from becoming dry and brittle.
- Use scented hair oil or spray, essential oils, or perfume to make your hair smell good.
- Dry shampoo can also keep your hair smelling fresh and clean throughout the day.
The Do's and Don'ts
Coloring your hair at home can be a fun and cost-effective way to switch up your look. By following these do's and don'ts, you'll achieve beautiful, healthy hair color without damaging your locks by following these do's and don'ts.
1. Do: Choose the Right Shade for Your Skin Tone
Before you choose a hair color, it's essential to consider your skin tone. Cool-toned skin (pink or rosy undertones) pairs well with cool hair colors, such as ash blonde or brunette, while warm-toned skin (yellow or golden undertones) complements warmer hair colors as honey blonde or chestnut brown.
2. Don't: Go Too Light or Too Dark
While it may be tempting to go for a dramatic change, avoid going too light or too dark in one go, especially if you're not a professional. A drastic change can damage your hair and make it difficult to correct if something goes wrong. Instead, aim for a shade that's only a few shades lighter or darker than your natural color.
3. Do: Consider Professional Help
If you're not confident in coloring your hair at home, or you want a drastic change, it's best to seek the help of a professional hair colorist. They have the skills and experience to give you the hair color you desire without damaging your hair.
4. Do: Prep Your Hair Before Coloring
Before coloring your hair, ensure it's clean, dry, and free of any product buildup. Additionally, don't wash your hair immediately before coloring, as this can strip your scalp of its natural oils, leading to scalp irritation.
5. Don't: Forget to Do a Strand Test
A strand test is crucial to determine whether the dye will work as intended and ensure you're not allergic to any ingredients. It's also helpful in figuring out how long you should leave the dye on and if you need to adjust the color.
6. Do: Follow the Instructions Carefully
Hair dye kits come with instructions that are easy to follow, so read them carefully before starting. Follow the instructions closely, and don't deviate from them.
7. Don't: Leave the Dye on for Too Long
Leaving the dye on too long can damage your hair and make the color too dark. Set a timer for the recommended amount of time, and don't leave it on any longer.
8. Do: Rinse Your Hair Thoroughly
After the recommended amount of time has passed, rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water until the water runs clear. Make sure to remove all the dye from your hair and scalp.
9. Don't: Shampoo Right Away
After rinsing out the dye, avoid shampooing your hair right away. Wait 24-48 hours before shampooing to allow the color to set fully.
10. Do: Use a Deep Conditioner
Hair dye can strip your hair of its natural moisture, leaving it dry and brittle. To combat this, use a deep conditioner after coloring your hair to restore moisture and keep your locks healthy.
11. Don't: Overuse Heat Styling Tools
Heat styling tools such as flat irons and curling irons can damage your hair, especially if you've just colored it. Avoid overusing these tools, and use a heat protectant spray to protect your hair from heat damage.
12. Do: Protect Your Hair from the Sun
UV rays from the sun can cause hair color to fade quickly, so protecting your hair from the sun is important. Wear a hat or use a hair product that contains SPF to shield your hair from harmful UV rays.
13. Don't: Skimp on Maintenance
Maintaining your newly colored hair requires effort, so don't skimp on maintenance. Use color-safe shampoo and conditioner, avoid washing your hair too frequently, and get regular trims to prevent split ends.
Coloring your hair at home can be a great way to experiment with your hair color and express your style. However, it's important to approach it cautiously and follow the necessary steps to avoid damaging your hair. By adhering to the do's and don'ts outlined in this article, you can achieve a beautiful, healthy hair color that looks great and enhances your overall look.
Don't forget to choose the right shade, prep your hair properly, and follow the instructions carefully to achieve the desired result. And if you're not confident in coloring your hair at home, don't hesitate to seek the help of a professional. Remember, with the right approach and care. You can have gorgeous hair color that makes you feel confident and fabulous.