Many people live hectic lives nowadays. Living in a fast-paced society cause stress and anxiety. Furthermore, all these stress and burden making falling and staying asleep difficult, leading to sleep disorders and sleep deprivation. Some people take the quality of sleep for granted, thinking that having a few hours of sleep is enough. Little do they know that sleep deprivation entails health problems like increased risk of chronic diseases, poor concentration, and depression. Sleep drugs are made available but because of the side effects, more people choose aromatherapy and essential oils. Using essential oils for better sleep has become popular because it is all-natural. Unlike sleep drugs, essential oils do not have bad side effects. Contrary to popular beliefs, essential oils do not cure sleep disorders such as insomnia. What essential oils do is they calm and relax our body and mind, making it easier to fall and stay asleep. Essential oils also promote a soothing and peaceful environment, therefore improving the quality of sleep.
There are many kinds of essential oils that can be used for better sleep. The most popular is lavender because of its sedative properties. Lavender is also known to reduce anxiety and stress. The other essential oils that are widely used to promote better sleep are cedarwood, neroli, vetiver, chamomile, sandalwood, and marjoram. These essential oils have calming and soothing properties that are perfect sleep aids.
Let’s find out how to effectively use essential oils for better sleep.
- The simplest but still powerful trick is adding a few drops of essential oil on a tissue or cotton ball and tucking it in the pillowcase. As simple and easy at it is, the scent of the essential oil can be inhaled from the pillowcase for a soothing and relaxing sleep.
2. Another effective way of using essential oils is making a sleep spray. It is easy to make and very convenient to use. Just mix 20 drops of the essential oil to 4 oz of water in a spray bottle. Shake well and spray lightly on your pillow, bed linen or around the room before retiring for the night. The scent will provide a restful night.
3. Topical application is one of the most preferred ways of using essential oils for sleep. A gentle massage with essential oils before going to bed will relax the body and relieve tension. Apply these essential oils on the trigger points of the body such as the bottoms of the feet, behind the knees, on the wrists, temples, and behind the ears and massage lightly. This effectively calms the body and promotes fast and deep sleep. Remember to mix the essential oil with a carrier oil so the skin will not be irritated.
4. An aromatherapy bath is a powerful way to use essential oils for sleep. Mix a relaxing essential oil with a carrier oil and add to the bathwater. Distribute the essential oil to the water well. Soak for about 15 to 20 minutes. Enhance the relaxing mood by dimming the lights, lighting some aromatherapy candles or playing soothing music while soaking in the bathtub. This is the perfect way to relax before going to sleep.
5. Diffusion is the easiest way to use essential oils. Many believe that this is also the most effective method. Diffusers disperse the essential oil through the air, filling the room with its aroma. Put a few drops of any essential oil for sleep in the diffuser 30 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime. This will allow the scent and aroma to circulate around the bedroom, thus creating a relaxed and calm environment for sleeping.
The quality of sleep should not be taken for granted. Healthy sleep is needed for health and wellness. Take advantage of the different ways of using essential oils for better sleep.